Living in America can be quite expensive. Regardless, with the high poverty rate in a greater part of Africa, America has become a better option for students who want to get higher education and be equipped with certain skills needed in their future endeavors. Before now, African students applying to these colleges and universities were turned down because they couldn’t afford the school fees.
The lack of funds for school has affected their education immensely, as it is difficult for them to get admitted to any university without external funding support. Most African parents do not have enough money to send their children abroad. In certain instances, African students use all their savings to get admission into a college. This has become extremely worrying, as they often drop out due to financial problems.
On this basis, many suspect that the USA has decided to give a helping hand and make education accessible to African students to develop themselves and the African continent. In this article, we have dived in-depth to give you the details of these fully funded African scholarships in the USA.
What Is A Fully Funded Scholarship?
A fully funded scholarship is a type of scholarship where educational-related expenses are taken care of on behalf of a student by a sponsor who might be an individual, organization, entity, or government. This scholarship handles tuition, room and board, books and supplies, travel tickets to and from school, and other school-related fees.
These scholarships are usually highly competitive due to the value they can offer and the fact that it is limited. Certain criteria like academic excellence, leadership skills, and a commitment to a field of study usually determine eligibility for fully funded scholarships.
Importance Of Fully Funded Scholarships For African Students In The US
The following are some of the main benefits of fully-funded scholarships for African students in the USA:
- Financial relief: One of the biggest benefits of fully funded scholarships is the financial relief they provide. These scholarships cover the cost of tuition, books, and living expenses, making it easier for students to focus on their studies without worries about paying for their education. This can be especially important for students from low-income families or those who are the first in their families to attend college.
- Opportunities for personal and academic growth: Fully funded scholarships allow students to grow personally and academically. They provide a supportive and challenging environment where students can develop new skills, make lifelong connections, and engage in research and other academic pursuits.
- Investment in the Future: The impact of fully funded scholarships for African students cannot be overstated, as they provide a pathway to a better future, not just for the individuals but also for their communities and home countries.
- Access to top universities and programs: These scholarships often provide students with access to the best faculty, resources, and facilities, which can help them to achieve their full potential and make the most of their educational experience. Furthermore, students who receive fully funded scholarships are often highly competitive and well-prepared for future careers, which can lead to many other benefits, such as high salaries and professional recognition.
Top Fully Funded Scholarship Programs For African Students In The US
- The Obama Foundation Scholars Program: This scholarship program is designed to support young leaders worldwide working to create positive change in their communities. The foundation has a program that supports African and other international students studying free through a fully funded scholarship at the university of Columbia.
What to expect from this scholarship includes:
- Academic training
- Skills-based training
- Networking opportunity
- MentorshipService activity
- Leadership development
For more information on how to apply, click here.
- The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program
This program began in 2012 with the vision to help transform young people in Africa to drive a equitable socio-economic change. The foundation collaborates with NGOs, universities, and other stakeholders to help support young Africans to have education for free.
There are so many universities for you to choose from to apply to. The universities and non-governmental partners of the foundation handle the recruitment process. So you have to apply through the university of your choice.
For more information, click here.
- The Rhodes Scholarship
This program supports students to study at the University of Oxford in the UK. African students have a unique opportunity to apply for the scholarship and benefit from its many advantages, including access to world-class academic programs, opportunities for personal and academic growth, and support for leadership development.
The scholarship covers the cost of tuition, fees, and living expenses for two years of study at Oxford, with the possibility of a third year for certain courses. It is awarded based on academic excellence, leadership potential, and commitment.
This scholarship is designed to recognize and support students who have the potential to make a positive impact in the world and who embody the values of excellence, friendship, and the service of humanity, as reflected in the scholarship’s motto.
African students interested in the Rhodes Scholarship should have excellent academic records, a strong commitment to leadership and service, and the potential to impact their societies and the world positively. Therefore, the scholarship is highly competitive, and only a small number of scholarships are awarded yearly to students worldwide.
For more information, click here.
- The Fullbright Scholarship
Here is a highly prestigious and competitive scholarship program that supports students, scholars, and professionals to study, teach, and conduct research abroad. The scholarship was established in 1946 and is funded by the US government through the Fullbright Program, managed by the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs.
The Fullbright Scholarship provides a unique opportunity for students, scholars, and professionals to expand their knowledge and understanding of different cultures, languages, and perspectives. The scholarship covers tuition, fees, and living expenses for one academic year and may be extended for a second year for certain programs.
The scholarship is open to applicants from over 160 countries, including African countries. It is awarded based on academic excellence, leadership potential, and a commitment to furthering cross-cultural understanding. Fullbright Scholars are expected to be well-rounded individuals with a strong commitment to using their knowledge and skills to impact the world positively.
African students interested in the Fullbright Scholarship should have excellent academic records, a strong commitment to cross-cultural understanding and leadership, and the potential to impact their communities and the world positively. Therefore, the scholarship is highly competitive, and only a few scholarships are awarded yearly.
In conclusion, fully funded scholarships provide a unique and valuable opportunity for African students to pursue their academic and personal goals. These scholarships offer financial relief, personal and academic growth opportunities, and access to top universities and programs.
By covering the cost of tuition, fees, and living expenses, fully funded scholarships provide students with the resources they need to focus on their studies and take advantage of all the opportunities available to them.
In this article, we have highlighted some of the top fully funded scholarship programs for African students in the USA, including the Obama Foundation Scholars Program, the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program, the Rhodes Scholarship, the Fullbright Scholarship, and the Schwarzman Scholars Program.
Each of these scholarships offers unique benefits and opportunities, providing African students with the support they need to succeed.
We encourage African students interested in fully funded scholarships to click on those links to learn more about these programs. These scholarships provide a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to pursue academic and personal growth and positively impact the world. So, why not seize the opportunity and apply for a fully funded scholarship today?